Monday, March 23, 2009

No Bad Deed Goes Unpunished

Randy and I went snow skiing in February with Amber, Jevon, Austin and Caitlyn Jean. We had a blast! The boys were skiing like pros in just two days. We all agreed that the trip was one of our best ever.

While we were there a few good clan stories happened. This one was at the top of my list to write when I returned home. I laugh every time I think about it.

I know that all of us can relate to being a child and not wanting to get into trouble. Especially with our dads. I was terrified of my dad. If I had to lie to stay of trouble, so be it. The fear of dad’s anger was stronger that the guilt of telling a lie. Been there done that many times.

One morning Amber was sweet and fixed everyone breakfast.

Amber: What do you guys want for breakfast?

Me: I want two eggs and turkey bacon.

Jevon: Two eggs, turkey bacon and grits.

Randy: Cinnamon Buns. I know you have them. I bought them. They are in the fridge. Okay Okay. I’ll just have grits, eggs and bacon.

Austin: Two eggs over easy, bacon and grits.

Caleb: I don’t want anything. Okay just bacon. Okay. Eggs and grits too.

Caitlyn Jean: I want everything Mom.

Now needless to say Amber did a great job. But she had a little help and this is where the fun starts. She fixed my plate first and handed it to Austin, who headed to the living room where I was watching the news and weather. I was sitting behind a rather large coffee table when I watched Austin attempt to place my plate on it. All I saw was my plate go down. I could not see how it fell or if anything fell off.

I watched as Austin bent down to pick it up. In my mind I thought it took him more than just a second to get my plate up. I asked him. “Austin, did my food fall on the floor?”

“Oh no, Grandma! Just the plate,” he answered.

“Are you sure Austin?” I asked one more time.

“Grandma, would I do that to you?” came the answer from the sweetest lips on the mountain.

How could I have doubted such a sweet innocent child? I felt ashamed of myself I picked my plate up and headed for the kitchen table. Austin sat straight across from me. I looked down at my plate and the picture of it going down was still in my head. I started picking at it ever so gingerly. Trying not to be too obvious. Amber walks over and saw me looking at my food. “Mom, is that how you like your eggs?” She asked.

"Well honey," trying not to make a fuss, "I like my egg's yellow runny and my whites done, but this will be okay,” I replied. 

Out of heaven came the words that took all my worry away. Heaven was the only place that could have saved me at that moment, and I knew it. “Mom if you don’t like your eggs that way, give your plate to Austin and I will make you some more,” came the blessed words from my innocent daughter's lips.

My hands moved faster than my mind could relay the message. The plate was in front of Austin before he could say one word or make any gesture that might mean he did not approve of this trade. I could hardly contain myself as I watched him take his fork and move the food around. What was he looking for I wondered? Could it be DIRT from the floor? He still swore it had not hit the floor. Oh Yeah! After about two days, he fessed up and told me that all the food had hit the floor and he just scooped it up and put it back on the plate. Good is good all the time.

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

After i found out that Austin had to eat his own dirt-lie breakfast, I figured he had punished himself enough. I couldn't help but laugh when i pictrued him sifting through his eggs repeatedly with his fork before taking very small bites and chewing them very slowly and painstakingly. Hahahah!! God gives the best spankings.

Anonymous said...

I just read this agian and I still get such a laugh out of it. This has to be one of my favorite all time stories. I love you Austie Bostie.

Anonymous said...

Austin is obviously observing the widely accepted "5 second rule." This is such a typical Stalker story. It reminded me of all kinds of incidents when we were growing up, particularly of Clyde trying to gross me out so he could get whatever I was eating or drinking. Has anyone noticed the old pictures? I was sooo skinny and he was known as "Round Man." Maybe I should just move in with Clyde and Jenny. Even with all of Jenny's great cooking, having to fight Clyde for food might help me loose some weight.

Anonymous said...

I could eat a really good meal off our floors.

Anonymous said...

When the kids were small, I used to say "You could eat off my kitchen floor for a week."

Anonymous said...

An even better rule is "If it's been there for 30 days and the dogs haven't cleaned it up, you may have to break down and mop."