Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Was Aesop Wrong?

I’m sure everyone recalls one of Aesop’s most quoted fables…
The Ants and the Grasshopper  

THE ANTS were spending a fine winter's day drying grain collected in the 
summertime.  A Grasshopper, perishing with famine, passed by and earnestly  
begged for a little food.  The Ants inquired of him, "Why did you not treasure  
up food during the summer?” 
He replied, "I had not leisure enough.  I passed the days in singing." 
They then said in derision:  "If you were foolish enough to sing all the  
summer, you must dance supperless to bed in the winter."

It is thrifty to prepare today for the wants of tomorrow.



A comment on the StalkerClan earlier today has me wondering if Aesop may have gotten this one  wrong.

Luci said... What did I do wrong. You all are up there having all that fun in the snow while I am sitting here snowbound again and this time listening to Rock Me to Sleep Mother.

Think about this for a moment.
  • Luci ( the Ant ) spent her summer collecting grain.  She labored all her days, studied hard in school, made good grades, went to college and worked thirty plus years for the government ( toil without recompense ).
  • Jeff ( the Grasshopper ) spent her summer days in singing.  Her youth was spent playing, riding motorcycles, climbing trees, chasing boys and worrying Mom to no end.
Now, winter has come and how have things turned out?

  • Luci ( the Ant ) is snowbound in her ant farm, crying ( tears all in vain ) to the tune of ‘Rock Me to Sleep Mother’.
  • Jeff ( the Grasshopper ) is lounging in a hot tub on a mountaintop, singing and passing the time until she goes back to the warm breezes of Florida.
So, was Aesop wrong?  Or is it may be that his moral lessons just don’t apply in the StalkerClan world.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Like I have always said we are a case study that no pyscholigist could figure out. LOL I like the one where Luci things she is wrong and Sherry thinks Luci is wrong and each can explain why! LOL

Luci said...

Somehow our world is governed by the laws of Meaner instead of the laws of physics.

Jeff said...

How did I get to be the grasshopper. Everytime I tried to sing, Luci told me to shut up. Especialy when I would sing "Ruby are you constipated going out somewhere." That was my favorite song and she would kill me if I event tried to sing it in front of her friends. So Michell needs to be the grasshopper. Luci taught her to sing before she could talk!!!!
And just so you know, the hot tub was absoultly wonderful!!