Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Tough Day in the Obituary Pages

I start most days checking the obituary page of the local paper to make sure I'm not listed.  Haven't found myself yet, but not many weeks go by that I don't find a name I recognize. This morning I found three.

The first was Orville Hunt who was the mayor of Coal Run Village a few years ago.  I only met him a few times and doubt any of you know him.

Next was Margaret Coleman.  I didn't recognize that name but reading her obituary I found she was the daughter of Alex and Meddie Belcher, sister to Phyllis Blackburn and mother of Judy, Randall and the other Bartley kids that we grew up with. (CLICK to read her Obituary.)  Of course, that triggers a flood of memories of growing up in Yellow Hill Bottom and all the friends we had there.

Finally, I came across the obituary for Franklin D. Ratliff.  Again that name didn't register at first but, reading further, I think this was Frank Ratliff who taught at Elkhorn City and later worked with the Board of Education.  Mr. Ratliff was my Algebra teacher freshman year at ECHS and together with Curtis Lester nurtured my interest in math. The two of them were probably responsible for my choice of engineering as a career. (CLICK to view his Obituary.)

Like I said, it is a tough day in the Obituary Pages.

Posted by Clyde

1 comment:

Jethery said...

Yes... lots of memories flood my mind. They were some of the sweetest kids.