Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Remembering Mother for her 94th birthday

I remember getting a $20 rebate check in the mail one day. I am guessing it was from that paint Dad got up at Maloney's. Mother said, "Sherry, give me that check and let me use it to buy the boys their clothes."

I said, "What are you talking about I use these checks to buy my newspapers, postage stamps and envelops." It was 1983 and Carlos was going to be in first grade. I thought up an idea. I went over to the house and Mother and Dad was sitting on the porch. I said, "Mother, I would like to make a deal with you if you don't care to make a deal."

She said, "What kind of a deal are you wanting to make?"

I said, "I will keep you in wash powders, soap, shampoos, and such stuff as that if I have it in exchange that you will buy my boys all of their clothes." Dad got very happy with the deal.

Mom on her Birthday in 2004

I took it Mother will agree with the deal. I started taking products over to the house and putting in the basement. I got Michelle to help me. I told Michelle I made a deal with Mother if I kept her in products if I have them in exchange she will buy the boys all of their clothes. Michelle said, "Did she say she will do it." 

I said, "She said she will think about it. When she sees how much stuff she is getting I am pretty sure she will agree to it. She has been buying them their clothes anyway."

As time went by my food stamps started piling up on me. Mother, and I think Michelle and the boys was with us, went to Kroger's. I said to Mother before we got out of the car, "Mother, I would like to make another deal with you. I will buy all of the groceries till I run out of food stamps and you take over in exchange that when you cook you cook enough for all of us." We went into Kroger's and I paid for all of the groceries.

I don't remember when I made this deal with mother. I told her because my children wanted to stay over at her house instead of over the trailer with me, I would come over every day to make up all of the beds and wash up all of the dishes and do a few other chores. 

I remember Mother and I went to Maloney's. I am guessing this was about around 1986. I remember Shawn was in school. I went back-to-school shopping and purchased a whole year's supply of paper, pencils, and crayons for the boys. Went I got back home. Dad was sitting in his chair. He watched me fill the desk drawers full of school supplies. I could tell he didn't know what to think. I also purchased ten packages of underwear and socks. I said, "Mother, I bought the boys ten packages of underwear and socks." 

She said, "Why so many? 

I said, "They were on sale for $5 a package regular $8. I bought ten 'cause I had ten one dollar coupons and I also had two refund offers saying $5 off of five." 

She said, "But." 

I said, "Mother, you don't understand." 

She said, "What is it that I don't understand." 

I said, "You said they wore size 8." 

She said, "But." 

I said, "I only bought one package of size 8. These two packages are size 10 and these two are size 12. These two packages are short socks and these two packages are longs socks." 

She said, "You only bought one package of size 8?" 

I said, "What does this here say on the package." 

She read, "Two free pairs inside."

All ten packages have two pairs in them. That is like getting over 13 packages for the price of ten. I put all of the stuff back into the bags and handed both bags to her and said, "Take all of this and put them up, that might be a three years supply there." The way I figured it out that is $3 per boy per year for underwear and socks. That is $110 worth of stuff including sales tax I got for $33. I think this is the last time I purchased the boys any clothes. Mother and I were at the bank when I showed her the two checks I got from the purchasing of the ten packages of underwear and socks.

Posted by Sherry  (Obviously)



2 comments:

Clyde said...

I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that Sherry's memories of Mom are wrapped up in coupons, discounts, rebates, and refund checks.
My memories include watching her make biscuits, kneading the dough, folding them over and over again, and giving them one last pat before placing them on the baking sheet. Stirring the gravy until it was just the right thickness.
I remember how she would whip molasses until it would foam up high in the pan and how I liked to hurry and pour it over my 'flapjacks' before it cooled and turned back to liquid.
I remember the green beans and pinto beans and the cornbread.
I can recall the toast with butter and sugar that she taught me how to make in the oven. The important thing was to keep an eye on it and not let it get too brown.
We each remember Mom in our own way I guess. But I'm sure we all remember how much she loved us, each and every one of us.

Aunt Meaner said...

I didn't mention that I purchased ten packages of underwear cause I had ten one dollar coupons and two five dollar refund checks.