Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Marriage Counseling

Ted and I were sitting in the waiting room for his pre-op doctor’s appointment. We were talking and bantering back and forth and laughing like we usually do.  Another couple was sitting across from us.   The guy got up and walked away to take a cell phone call.  While he was gone the lady asked how long we had been married and we told her 26 years.  She told us her life story. She had been married three times. Each time it started out great but after ten years they ended up hating each other and getting divorced.  She was now in year eight of her third marriage.  She said “You both seem so happy. What’s your secret to a good marriage?” 

We both almost fell out of our chairs!  For the first time ever we were both speechless. 

I suggested that she might want to encourage her husband to become a long distance trucker. 

Ted suggested that she start getting divorced after about three years while they could still stay friends. 

Finally I said, “I guess our secret is that we live in separate houses ten miles apart. We only see each other once a week.” 

If anybody needs counseling we are available and cheap.

 

Posted by Luci

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that housing situation would work for me and Jim. LOL

Anonymous said...

I have to scrach my head on this one. Where on earth will I send RAndy. Which girl will have to keep him at their house so that we can be truly happy. It doesn't matter it the girls are happy or not. Just so we are. I will call each one of them and see which one is up for this great idea. Thanks sis. If i live through this I'll let you know how it works.