Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Happy Birthday Dad


We may not be able to see you, but we still feel your presence. The memories of you are so many and they flood my mind and make me miss those days. 

The lunch bucket you brought home each day that almost always had something left in it for us kids, a cake, a pie or maybe a candy bar left for us to try and split into equal pieces.   We always looked forward to what might be in that lunch box. 

The cup you used for the soap you would brush on your face and the razor you used to shave.  I still remember sitting on the sink watching you as you shaved.  

The coat you wore when it was cold. You were hot natured and never wore a heavy coat.  A light coat would do.  

How many times did you say, “Bring me a cup of coffee.”  I don’t know how many times, but it was many… and a sandwich would be next on your list of things for us to bring you.  You always said you got the a** end of the tomato and you couldn’t figure out why.  I think we all knew from watching you, you didn’t waste anything.  You ate whatever was put on the table. 


The cup in the picture is a measuring cup we had when we were young and several times I tried to bring you coffee in it.  You always said the same thing.  “I can’t drink coffee out of that cup, it won’t cool down.”  Who knew the Yeti cup would be so famous.”  

And then there is the famous trailer you and Bun Buns made. We all know the story about how it took you so long to make it because you had to wait for Shawn to get home from school to help you build it.  The one he hit his finger with the hammer and had to go have Mama pray for him. 

I have the four-wheeler you rode the grandchildren on, and I have fixed it up, and now I ride my grandchildren on it, they love that four-wheeler.  I do too.  

The picture only shows a few of the physical things I still have to remind me of you.  But The truth is, I don’t have to have them to remember you,  I remember like it was yesterday and I long to see you.  I miss you so much.  Your stories are still told when we get together, and we still laugh as though it is the first time we ever heard them.  

You may not have had a college degree, but you had a degree in the hard knocks of life.  Your life was so hard as a child. I can hardly see how you turned out as good as you did.  You loved your family.  You weren’t perfect, but you sure did love us.  The older I get the more I realize just how much. 

I know I will see you again someday.  I know you are with others I long to see.  That gives me great hope of a better day.  

Posted by Jeff

No comments: