Friday, December 25, 2009

THE ORANGE SACKS (rewritten)

If I remember correctly this was the first Christmas I was told that there was no such thing as a Santa Claus and it was Mother and Dad who was filling up our socks at night. I thought because it was them that was filling up our socks, I took it they would fill up anything, why a sock?

It was the day before Christmas, and the first thing Lucille and Jeffery did when they got finished eating breakfast they hit the sock drawer for a sock. I didn't bother.  They worked on those socks all day long stretching them as much as they can. While they were busy working on socks I was busy playing.
Somewhere around 4PM or 5PM Lucille and Jeffery had their socks hanging up in front of the mandle. Lucille said, "Sherry, aren't you going to put yourself up a sock."  I looked around and I saw an orange sack laying in the floor. I went over and picked it up and tied a loop in the string and hung it up where I was suppose to hang up a sock.

Lucille said, "Mother, Sherry is hanging up an orange sack instead of a sock."

Mother said, "Hang you up a sock, Sherry."

Jeffery liked the idea so good that she went and found herself a sack and went she did she took her sock down and hung the orange sack up in its place. Lucille said, "Mother, Sherry and Jeffery both has gotten orange sacks up instead of socks."

Mother said, "They won't get filled."

Lucille said, "I'll hang up that red waste can, if that's what it takes."

Lucille wanted an orange sack also, she had no other choice but to put on a coat and a pair of boots, and went outside on the back porch where Mother and Dad kept the stuff to use to fill up the socks. If I remember correctly it was snowing and she had a hard time dealing with the weather. She had to empty herself out a sack. When she finally got it emptied she came back inside and took her sock down and hung up the sack.

Our bedtime has been 8PM forever. When it was time to go to bed there were three orange sacks up for Santa to fill. After all of that work Lucille and Jeffery did to those poor old socks.  If I remember correctly it seems like I was kindly awake when Mom and Dad where in the room to fill up the sacks. I heard Dad say, "These aren't socks these are orange sacks."

Mother said, "That was Sherry's idea."

Dad said, "Sherry's!"

I was laughing to myself.

When morning came all of us got up and the first thing we wanted was to see what we got in our orange sacks. I have to admit they weren't completely filled, but they were somewhere around 2/3 full. I was glad to get what I got cause I felt like I got the most I could possible could get. I got my sack and I put it around my shoulder like a Santa sack and said, "Ho, ho, ho, I'm Santa Claus."

When Jeffery saw what I did, she did it also. At least I didn't spend all day Christmas Eve working on socks.

Sherry

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Meaner 1
Luci and Jeffery 0

Unknown said...

Clyde and Jenny came by to visit yesterday. I had been anxiously awaiting the can of sweets that Jenny fixes every year. In addition to that wonderful treat, Clyde had fixed a bag of treats to go with "THE BOOK." It reminded me that whether we put up socks, orange sacks or my first pair of pantyhose on Christmas Eve we always got oranges, apples, nuts and Toes. Thanks for the memory. It was delicious. Thanks for the soap, lotion, calendar, pot holder and tote. I love them all. Merry Christmas.