Sunday, December 23, 2018

Sock vs Sack

I received a text last night and almost died laughing. It was so simple, but so Aunt Meaner.

Text between Crystal and Aunt Meaner:
      Aunt Meaner: How are you?
      Crystal: OK! Are you doing OK?
      Aunt Meaner: I'm fine. The only difference between a sock and a sack is the second letter.
      Crystal: So true lol!

Now, I read this and just burst out laughing out loud. All alone it is funny, but when you know the true meaning and thought pattern that goes with it, it is hilarious.

When we were children, my favorite thing to do at Christmas time was to hang my sock up over the fire place. It was the biggest thrill of all for me. Now in the beginning, we would take one of our regular socks and hang it up, but as the years went by, we became more creative. We tried to figure out how to come up with bigger types of socks to put up. I remember one year we tried to put up Mom's hose. That was a disaster. The weight of the fruit and candy caused the stocking to stretch almost to the floor and it looked so..... strange.  Weird, I suppose would be a better word for it. And for some reason, there didn't seem to be anymore in that socking than would have been in a sock. Strange thing how that was. 

Then there was the year Clyde was laid up in the bed with his elbows and knees all torn up from football. He played the pity party for all it was worth that year. He decided to put up an orange sack....Sack vs Sock.....And to this day, I do not know why Santa filled that sack up and just gave us the same or less than the usual amount. 



I have my theories. 

Theory number 1. Santa saw him and felt sorry for him.....I don't think so. Santa had been watching him all year and knew how mean he was to us girls... so that theory went out the window pretty quick. 

Theory number 2. Mom felt sorry for him and because he was her "baby boy" gave him more. 

Theory number 3. Mom, in all her years with Clyde, knew he would eat all the Christmas dinner the next day and hoped if she gave him more, he would be full and let us have some of the dinner, especially the cake. I thought about this one and decided that it didn't matter if he had placed a wheel barrow in place of a sock, he would still be able to eat all the food. 

Then there is theory number 4. The one I place the most common sense in....That after Santa, aka Mom, filled the socks, someone's knees got well enough for them to hobble over to the fire place and remove goodies from our sOcks to his sAck

Yes, I do believe in Greedy Guts (what Mom used to call us when we ate to much). So, if any of you have any other theories, please feel free to fill me in and I will be happy to look back on old times and enjoy the crazy Christmases we all loved.

Posted by Jeffery

1 comment:

Aunt Meaner said...

The only orange sacks I ever remember putting up was the ones Lucille, Jeffery and I put up.