Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Court Day Weekend 2007

Thursday after work, Ted convinced me to go to Preston. It has been about 10 years since I went there before and he insisted that it had changed. There were some noticeable improvements. Most of the animals were in cages and there were port-a-pots here and there. It struck me almost immediately that someone had found the spot where Jeff and Randy had dumped all the stuff they hauled out of Mom and Dad’s basement. It looked for the world like everyone in the neighborhood had cleaned out their basements and thrown the stuff in the yard. Ted tried to buy some chickens but the man wouldn’t guarantee that they would live (with all the coyotes, foxes and other critters Ted has roaming around at the farm, not to mention Bert and Sugar). We came home empty handed.

Preston

In anticipation of Mom and Dad visiting for Court Days, I took off early on Friday, thinking I would get home, rest for a while, have something to eat and maybe even pick up the house a little before they got there. (Wake up Luci. You’re Dreaming)

I was walking home wearing my usual attire, big straw hat, really big sunglasses that go over my other glasses, long sleeve shirt (sun protection) and was carrying my usual self protection device, a big metal thermos bottle in a Walmart Bag. It is a rock in a sock type of protection. I figure if anyone is desperate or drunk enough to try to rob a bag lady, they will probably freak out when she comes at them swinging a metal thermos in a bag. If they are crazy enough to get close tome I plan to swing it over my head and them smack them up the side of the head with it.

I was about half way home when I heard a vehicle pull up behind me. Instead of coming on around me, it seemed to be just following me up the road. I got over to the side just in case someone thought they couldn’t get around my big butt. Still they didn’t come on around me. I got into my stance. Started to sling my bag over my head and turned around. It was Mom and Dad.

Mom and I headed out for Penny’s and Walmart. Dad and Ted took off for Preston. Ted’s second trip.

Saturday Morning Mom and I headed out for Winchester. She didn’t want to go downtown in all that crowd. She just wasn’t able to walk that much. We spent an hour or so in Lowe’s and another hour or so at the Peddler’s Mall. It was a trip down Memory Lane for Mom. She had owned just about everything in there at one time or another. As we were getting in the car ready to head for home and rest for a while (Wake up Luci. You’re dreaming), Mom said , “Where to now?” I asked if she wanted to go to Peebles. She said “I just don’t know if I’m able. Are they having a sale?” I said “So if they are having a sale you might be able but otherwise, you ‘re not?” “That’s right.” I said, “I guess we could do a drive by to see if they are having a sale.” Sure enough they were and we spent another hour or so in there before heading home. When we got home, Dad said he had found some things he knew we would love and insisted on taking us out to see them.. When he turned left out of my subdivision, Mom yelled “Where are you taking us? I thought we were going down town.” I was ready to drop and she was ready to go downtown.

Dad took us to a yard-sale where they had several surprisingly nice tables and shelves. Mom bought a small table/ plant stand with a marble top. We loaded it in the back seat and headed home. We decided to stop by a local greenhouse to see if they had any nice mums. After spending at least a half hour picking out the perfect one, I carefully loaded it in the back seat of the truck between me and the table. I stuffed items from the floor around it so it wouldn’t turn over and thought to myself, “It should be able to make it to Pike County in good shape.” (Wake up Luci, You’re Dreaming). When we hit the first bump in the road, the table fell over and smashed the mum to bits. Dad is probably still picking little springs of mum out of his truck.

Mom and Dad headed home early Sunday morning. Clyde and Jennie arrived about 30 minutes later. Finally, I was going to get to go to Court Day. The weather was perfect. The crowd was sparse. We had a wonderful time.

Court Days Mt Sterling KY

We actually bought more stuff than we had in several years. After we found some Kettle Korn for Clyde, he was happy to walk around eating it while we kept slipping our bags on his arms. As long as his hands were free to eat, the world was good or as long as his mouth was full of Kettle Korn, he couldn’t complain. At least we couldn’t understand what he was saying. Jennie brought Apple Dumplings that she had fixed from home. They were wonderful. (Am I still dreaming?)

It was the best Court Day Weekend ever.

Posted by Luci

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Valuables
Luci and Jeff had no idea all that stuff was valuable.