Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Beautiful

Emily is almost four and loves to dress up and be pretty. She loves makeup, and fingernail polish, and all the frills that go with being a girl. Lately she has been asking me if she is beautiful. She will ask me when she wears a new dress, or combs her hair a different way, or she will smile real big and want to know if she is beautiful. Of course me being the proud Grandma that I am I always tell her she is absolutely beautiful and then some.

No, but you are Wonderful and Special.One morning we were on our way to work and preschool and she had on a different coat than she had been wearing. She asked me if I thought she was beautiful in her new coat. I answered the usual, "Oh, Yes Emily. You are so beautiful." She was pleased with herself.

A few minutes went by and I looked at her in my rear view mirror and asked, "Emily, am I beautiful?"

I was not at all ready for her answer, "No Grandma, but you are Wonderful and Special!"

Oh my! What was this. I was wonderful and special, but not beautiful. I felt like I had just come off a blind date that was to be my last date. A few days went by and I asked Emily what I needed to do to be beautiful? Again, I was not ready for her answer, "Grandma you just need to stop being bad to me and Blair when we are bad and then you can be beautiful too."

Go figure! All I have to do is let her and Blair be as bad as they want to be, and I can be beautiful. I guess I will just have to settle for being Wonderful and Special.



Posted by Jeff

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sure is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She is a cutie, Like her Auntie Michelle :), Hey Uncle Clyde could you include the song YOUR BEAUTIFUL by James Blunt for this story.

Anonymous said...

Emily is such a cute kid. She and Blair are really looking great. Blair has a new hair cut and boy does he look sharp. I admire my parents for being so loving and patient with all of their little ones. We couldn't ask for a better family.