Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wildflower Weekend is Near

This coming weekend is Wildflower Weekend. I ran across this press release from the Kentucky Tourism folks today...

After several cold days, the wildflowers at Natural Bridge State Resort Park in Slade are hanging on and continuing to progress towards the predicted peak bloom in late April. Some early wildflowers such as hepatica and bloodroot are beginning to fade. Wildflowers currently in or near peak bloom include rue anemone, yellow trout lily, miterwort, long-spurred violet, star chickweed, pennywort, large-flowered trillium, and red trillium. Those flowers that have buds or have just begun to bloom include: wild geranium, purple phacelia, foam flower, wild ginger, and columbine. The leaves/buds of stonecrop, Solomon s seal, wood betony, May apple, mandarin, and dwarf-crested iris are up and preparing for their spectacular displays. As for trees and shrubs in bloom, serviceberry and trailing arbutus are continuing to bloom on the sandstone ridge tops, while spicebush and redbuds continue to bloom in the valleys. Two of the best trails at Natural Bridge for observing spring wildflowers are the Rock Garden and Whittleton Trails.

The peak of wildflower blooming at Natural Bridge should closely coincide with our Wildflower Weekend event April 17-20. The beautiful area around Natural Bridge is home to hundreds of native plant species which can be enjoyed during this event with other botanists, gardeners, and nature lovers. Our fieldtrips are for all levels of participation, from beginner to advanced wildflower enthusiasts and from short easy walks to longer hikes at Natural Bridge State Resort Park and the Red River Gorge Geological Area! ...

It's also Hillbilly Days in Pikeville so I don't know how much of Wildflower weekend Jennie and I will get to take part in, we hope to get to Natural Bridge for part of it anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure was great seeing everyone at Natural Bridge yesterday. Even Matt and Brian showed up. The food was good and we had a very nice visit. Wish we could have stayed longer but Ted and I were both exhausted from all the hiking this weekend. I have started on the plans for the cabin. It sure is nice to have something to dream about anyway.

Anonymous said...

I was talking to Shawns girlfriend Jennifer about Shawns role models for a relationship and I said well, he had mamaw and papaw and role models, but as Luci and Ted were walking around dicussing things I pointed and said "Well I think those two were role models of a relationship for Shawn as well." Shawn I am sorry if Jennifer breaks up with you but she has to know the truth.

Anonymous said...

We went to the camp ground to meet Luci and Ted and noticed a big gathering of people in the campgrounds beside of them. Ted said this is GAY weekend up here. I was like well that is great, Ted pulls the camper right beside of them. We were talking in the camper and Ted gets up and walks to the door and said. I am going to walk out here and tease these gay boys a little bit, Knowing they can't have me. I thought we would all die laughing. Jeremy looked through the window and said "Mom, I see a gay man, I said where Jeremy, He said right there he is brushing his teeth. I said does that make him gay? I said well yes I guess it does for Jeremy if he is doing it without his mother standing over him it does in jeremys opinion.