Thursday, September 18, 2008

Caleb Starts Kindergarten

I think I have told most of you that Caleb started Kindergarten this year.  Caleb was so excited I thought he was going to pop.  I, on the other hand, felt like a kid who lost it's puppy.  I must admit I experienced a bit of separation anxiety. 

He wanted to ride the bus the first day, but I refused to give him up that easily.   When I went to school to pick him up I saw Melissa (Austin's mom) waiting for Austin and Eli (Austin's little brother on his mom's side).  Eli is in Caleb's class, by the way.  She and I gave each other our prediction of how we thought the day had gone.  We both agreed that we felt sorry for the poor teacher who had gotten the terrible two-some. 

Soon Caleb and Eli were ushered out by some teacher's aids.  I was so excited.  I rushed to Caleb and scooped him up.  "How was your day?  I missed you so much!!  What happened?  Did you make any friends?  What did you do?"  I bombarded him with questions. 

Caleb very calmly and quietly looked up at me and said, "I can't tell you anything until I talk to Austin." 

I must have looked like a balloon deflating.  "Are you serious?"  I pleaded. 

"Yeah, I can't talk to you right now, Mom.  I need to see my brother first."  I looked across the   bench where Melissa and Eli were in a feverish conversation about the days events, then back to Caleb who remained stone faced. 

Austin's grade came out a few minutes later and Caleb excitedly rushed to Austin, just as I had rushed  to him moments before.  He gave a sideways glance back at me to make sure I wasn't eavesdropping.  They whispered back and forth for what seemed like an eternity. 

When Caleb came back to me he said simply, "I had a good day.  I played with Playdough, I ate lunch, I hate nap time, and I didn't get to go to the playground.  Can we go home now?" 

To this day I still do not know what secrets the brothers hold.  I am an outsider now.  If anyone needs me I will be in my bed with the covers pulled over my head.

Posted by Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that story, secrets are hard to keep he will spill the beans soon I bet. Is it me or is the Stalker Clan in large print? Did some of our Senior readers request this?