Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Lunch Club

During the first week of school I had to go to Caleb's class a couple of times and drop off things like snacks and supplies.  One morning his teacher, Mrs Cox, was talking to me before class started and she asked me if Caleb had talked to me about lunch the day before.  "No", I said. "What happened?"

Immediately she turned to Caleb for his explanation, but none was offered.  So she looked at me almost apologetically and said, "Well, Caleb and his little partner in crime (I instantly knew she was speaking of Eli) got into some trouble at lunch yesterday and I'm sorry to say that they both had to eat their lunches at the detention table." 

I turned to Caleb for his reaction.  He looked confused.  "Caleb, did you have to sit at the detention table yesterday?" I asked. 

"Oh!",  he finally responded.  "You mean when me and Eli sat at that special table by ourselves?"

I thought I was going to explode with laughter but I knew that I had to get to the bottom of why he was in detention.  "Caleb," I said in a serious voice, "Detention is not a special table.  It is like a time-out table and it means that you did something bad to get there.  So you need to tell Mommy why you had to go there." 

"I didn't do anything bad, Mom.  I promise."  

Mrs.Cox informed me that he and Eli were wrestling in the lunchroom and that wrestling is strongly prohibited.

"Oh....", I said.  At this point I must have had a very guilty look on my face as I confessed to Mrs Cox that we allow Caleb and Eli to wrestle when they are together, as long as it is in good spirits.  Mrs. Cox smiled and explained that they should limit the wrestling to when they are out of school.  I agreed.  I turned to Caleb, "So, now do you know why you were at the detention table, Caleb?" 

"All I know is me and Eli were wrestling and some big lady came and tapped us on the shoulder and said, 'You and you!  Take your lunches to that table and don't move.'  And we did.  And we ate the rest of our lunches at our own table by ourselves."  He looked pleased with himself as he explained.  His teacher looked pretty amused by Caleb's translation of the days event.  I could tell she too was trying not to laugh.

Later that afternoon I called Melissa to see if she knew anything about the infamous "lunch detention".  She has no idea and before I could get past the words lunch and detention she was hollering, "ELI PRESTON BROWNING!  GET IN HERE NOW!"  She immediately asked, "Did you get lunch detention yesterday?" 

He quickly replied, "No."

She countered with, "So you didn't have to sit at the detention table with Caleb yesterday?" 

I could hear him in the background as he squealed in excitement, "OH!  You mean when me and Caleb got to sit at the special table!"  I thought I was going to die laughing.

When I told Austin about his delinquent brothers he responded, "My Gosh!  I've been going to that school for 4 YEARS and I've never gotten lunch detention even once, and both my brothers get it the first week of school!"


Posted by Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is soooo cute. I can't believe he's going to school already. Keep the stories coming. They are wonderful. I was really looking forward to seeing you and the kids. Sorry you didn't get to come to Kentucky with your Mom and Dad. I hope you can make it for the wedding.