Tuesday, December 23, 2008

THE CHRISTMAS TREE

I remember when I was in the first grade, my classroom went into the lunchroom to have lunch. In the middle of the room, opposite the end that had the kitchen, was an aluminum Christmas tree with a round thing that shined three different colors on it. I never seen this kind of tree before and I wanted one to put up in our house. We had a real tree that I didn't think looked pretty.

The next year they put the same Christmas tree up in the lunchroom again. I still wanted one for our house. I remember I came home. We entered the house from the lower side of the house. (I'm guessing we had a big hole there in the front of the house.) When I entered the house, Mother said to Jeffery, "Don't let her see it!" Like it was a surprise.

Mother said, "It's the Christmas tree!"  It was a real tree decorated with lights and items. It wasn't the aluminum tree. I got it on my mind it was never going to be. I was right!

Sherry

PS: I remember sometime after that we went up to Joe's, their Christmas tree looked like a tree branch decorated. I said to myself, "At least our tree is better looking than theirs."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed as a child putting up the Christmas tree. Now as an adult I have the job of putting it up and taking it down and I dont know if my boys realize it is in the house or not.

Anonymous said...

We love you, Aunt Sherry! Merry Christmas!

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I remember the aluminum trees with the rotating light. They were the thing when we were kids. We always had a cedar that Dad chopped down in the woods somewhere. It had that strong cedar smell to it that bothered my allergies but I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sherry your sure do have a good menory. I had fogotten all about that tree. I remember thinking it was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen in my life. Thanks for bringing back such a wonderful memory.
Love you sis.