Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Figured Out After Thirty Years!

After thirty years of marriage, Randy and I have figured out a few things about each other. I have figured out that if I have something upsetting to tell him, I must prepare him for it.

Me: Randy Honey, I have something to tell you, and I don't want you to get upset about it. Getting upset won't help the problem, so it's best to try and not let yourself get so worked up about it.
Jokingly Randy pretends to huff and puff as though he is getting it all out before I tell him the upsetting news. His cheeks go in and out and his face gets red. He stomps around the room and makes fists with his hands. This lasts about five minutes.
Randy: I'm ready now. Go ahead and tell me the bad news.
Me: Are you sure you are ready?
Randy: I'm sure. No, just one more minute.
I wait while he does some more pretending.
Randy: Okay! I'm ready.
I tell him the news. He stands quietly. He doesn't seem to let it faze him in the least. I am thinking this might really work. I will let him vent ahead of time. NOT! Thirty minutes later, after he has really had time to simmer over what I have told him, the kettle begins to spitting and sputtering the steam it has had bottled up. I try to catch a moment when the steam is at it's lowest pressure to interject what I think will be some calming advice.
Me: Now Randy, we just have to pray about these things. Getting all worked up and spending the day upset will not help things at all.
He stops and looks at me. I think I am going to hear something like, "Yes Honey you are right. We just need to pray about this." NOT !
Randy: After thirty years of being married to you, I finally have you figured out. When you tell me to pray about something, what you are really saying is, 'Randy, will you shut up!'

I started to deny his claim, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. I really did want him to shut up and PRAY. He finally has me figured out.

Randy, will you shut up!

Posted by Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd hate to even ask what the bad news was that you were refering to in your story, but i can only assume it was probrably about me or one of my youngins'.