Monday, March 10, 2008

Another Senior Moment

Ted turned 60 in January. Trying to look on the bright side, we were both thrilled that we now qualify for the Senior Discount on groceries at Kroger. Ted went in to sign up for it and get our special cards right after his birthday.  They have Senior Day the first Wednesday of each month.

Last Wednesday (my birthday), at 6:30 am, we were both there, doing our shopping.  I first ran into Ted as I was coming out of the rest room and he was going in.  We met again in the toilet paper aisle and talked about how expensive toilet paper is and how fast it disappears.  He said, “Did you ever think that on your birthday, we would both be standing in Kroger this early in the morning talking about our bowel movements?”

I said, “It could be worse.”

He moaned and said, “How?”

I said, “We could be standing in the laxative aisle talking about how backed up we are.”

Later, after checking out, I looked at my receipt and it didn’t show that they gave me the much anticipated Senior Discount.  I handed it back to the checkout clerk and said, “I didn’t get the discount.”

She looked at me like I was crazy and said, “You have to be 60 years old to get the discount. There’s no way you are that old.”

I said, “Thank you very much but my husband is 60.” I pointed to him in the next aisle and asked if she needed to see his ID. 

She looked at him and said, “Nah.”  She punched the discount button and gave me my $23.00 discount.  Hey, I had a good BM, got a compliment, and a $23.00 discount. This is the best birthday I have had in a long time.

eMail from Luci

Editor's Note:  This story may help explain a photograph I found recently by following the Mount Sterling News linkIt seems the Highway Department put on a special presentation about Highway Safety for the Montgomery County Senior Citizens.  I thought that couple on the right hand side of the photo looked familiar. 

Senior Citizens Meeting
Click on the photo to view full sized.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

luci looked like she was enjoying whatever the speaker was saying but the other women dont look like he was saying much to them.

Anonymous said...

You know i can really relate with that story. Even though i'm only 24 and Jevon is 26 we still find ourselves getting excited over the silliest things. It's depressing and wonderful all at the same time. A couple of weeks ago Jevon was so sweet as to suggest that I take a "girls night" with a friend of mine. It was kinda last minute so we couldn't think of anything we wanted to do. So we went to dinner and then the high-light of our night was walking around target getting stuff for the kids. We were actually embarrassed that we had enjoyed that so much. Man, i didn't know that 60 could bring so many savings!!! Now i have something to count down!! Only 36 more years to go. And Aunt Luci I must say you are still a hot mama!!! Good thing i take after you!!
Love you!
Amber

Anonymous said...

$23.00 savings!!!!!!!!!No wonder Aunt Luci is a millionair. I have to wonder with one I want to visit next trip up. Meaner Mart or Riley Mart. They both have a lot of savings. I think I will visit both.
Jeff