Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Hospital Bed from Hell

One of the things that Luci made arrangements for while she was on Road Creek in March was for a hospital bed to be delivered for Dad.   The thinking was;

  • It would be easier for him to get out of,
  • It would allow his head to be elevated without stacking up boards and bricks, and
  • It could be moved around to make-up the bed and allow cleaning around it.

It was delivered and set up in Dad’s bedroom before Luci left.

Snug in her bed back in Mount Sterling a tired Luci slept soundly, very satisfied with the way the new bed had turned out and pleased that she had done a good thing.  Meanwhile, Dad spent his first night in the new bed without sleeping a wink.

“Maybe it’s just going to take a little getting used to,” Luci argued when she was called.  “Give it a little while longer.”

After two more nights without sleep, Dad had taken all he could stand.  He says he took Sherry’s bed and threw her in that hospital bed.   She only lasted two sleepless nights in it before the medical supply place was called to come remove it. 

Dad says, “My only regret is that Luci didn’t get to spend a night or two in that #*&$ bed.”



It all reminds me of a quote I saw recently:

“Hell isn't merely paved with good intentions, it is walled and roofed with them.”  –  Aldous Huxley

Maybe Hell isn’t just paved, walled and roofed with good intentions, maybe it’s outfitted with furniture too.

Clyde

3 comments:

Luci said...

I was thinking of the adjustible beds that have a regular mattress but the head will go up and down. That thing looked a lot like the cot I have in the camper. But I hate to imagine what it cost. Sorry Dad. What do you think about a hammock?

Michelle said...

Poor daddy, what about a blow up air mattress? I think that would be cheaper. Yep his only regreat was that Luci didnt get a night on the wonderbed.

Luci said...

Yes I really thought it would be something wonderful. That is why I planned to be there to put my name on it. But after seeing it I didn't bother.