Monday, July 27, 2009

Mom & Dad – The War in my Head

Luci has told about how she once asked Mom and Dad to talk about growing up on Road Creek.  Dad told several funny stories about his family, friends and co-workers at Republic Steel.  Mom remembered all the tragedies and misfortunes that had befallen her family and friends.   They grew up in the same place and time but it was like they were looking back on two different worlds.

I suspect this conflict in how they view the world has been passed on to some of us.  I know I can often separate my thoughts and memories into two categories, one that I think I inherited from Dad and another influenced by Mom.  For example, here are some of my thoughts and memories from Stalker Days this past weekend.

 

Read these loudly and with a smile on your face. Nod your head up and down. Read these in a soft, sad tone.  Slowly shake your head from side to side.
As I drive up Road Creek
Hey, there comes the crew that installs those portable carports down the creek.  Maybe they are through with Dad’s new carport already.
When I pull on the bridge at Dad’s
Wait a minute, there isn’t any new carport here, and why is Randy digging under the Meaner Mall?  This can’t be good. 
Loading up for the trip
Million dollar pie, and Chess Cake too?
Later
Jennie, where did we pack my blood sugar test kit?
Watching Chris work on Jeremy’s tractor
I never knew Chris Potter could be so witty.  He has had us laughing several times.  I loved the story about the pipe wrench.
Later
I never knew Chris had that much ‘ Ted’ in him.  Maybe Ted can be here next year.
After Chris got the tractor running
Did you see the grin on Jeremy’s face?  He couldn’t stop smiling.
Later
I bet restoring these old tractors can get expensive.  What does one of these tires cost?
Saturday
I can’t believe it, Bryan is bringing his girlfriend to Stalker Days.
Saturday
I can’t believe it, Bryan is bringing his girlfriend to Stalker Days.
Saturday Evening
Have you ever had a steak this tender?  Everything tastes great!
Saturday Night
Oh, my aching stomach.
Friday in Michelle’s dining room
Look at that, Michelle still has the StalkerClan books displayed for everyone to see.
Saturday in the living room
Look at that, Michelle and Jeffery are going to read from the StalkerClan books.  The party’s over.
Saturday afternoon in the yard
With Emily, Blair and Emerson here playing, Stalker Days sure sounds different this year.  Listen to them squeal and laugh.
Saturday Night
I haven’t had a headache like this in a long time.  Not since Dad and I went to Florida last winter.
Driving home
Wasn’t it great that Erik, Veronica and Emerson got to come this year!
A few miles later
What a shame that Matt and Sara couldn’t be here.


Can you tell which column is my view of the world due to Dad’s DNA and which is the view I inherited from Mom?  I bet you can.  I wonder if there is a psychiatrist around who gives a group discount?

Clyde 

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I did it just like it was intended and I got a good laugh on both ends. Yes, I hope that Matt and Sara can make it next year. The more the better. Like Jim has always said your family is your best friends!!! He had a great time and looks forward to another great one next year!! I think the best part is seeing those kids have a great time. Emily told Jeffery she really liked camping in Kentucky.

Michelle said...

Remember Ted he is in surgery now

Luci said...

I just talked to the doctor. Ted's surgery went well. We should be in a room in about an hour. (That is if they have one.) He will be here for 3 or 4 days. Hopefully he will get to go home about Thursday. Please spread the word. Thanks everyone for your prayers.

Lulci said...

Oh by the way, love the story. Hope Ted and Pat can make it next year. Maybe Pat will be brave enough to bring his girlfriend.

Bryan said...

Leigh Ann and I had a great time Saturday.