Friday, July 31, 2009

The Unknown Soldier

You may remember this chart…

I posted it on the Diggin’ Up Bones site a few months ago to try to clarify all the different Winright Adkins’.  One of them, Winright Adkins 1837, is Randy Ratliff’s Great-Great-Grandfather.  He is also thought to be the man that shot and killed the Unknown Soldier who is buried along the road to the Breaks Interstate Park.

When Jeff and Randy were visiting last week we took a quick trip up to the Breaks.  As we were leaving we stopped at the grave of the Unknown Soldier and I snapped this photo.

I remember in grade school one of my teachers, I think it was Virgil Sykes, said there was a legend that the ghost of the unknown soldier would come back someday to avenge his murder.  I didn’t bother to mention that to Randy.  Heck, nobody believes those old wives tales anymore. 

Besides, there’s no such things as ghosts. Right?  That shadowy figure there in the bush, I’m pretty sure that’s just the light coming through the leaves playing tricks.  Or maybe it’s dust on my camera lens.  Yeah, I bet that’s what it is. 

I don’t think you have anything to worry about Randy.  You might want to be extra careful for a while though.  

Clyde

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I wonder if that ghost could help then watch Emily and Blair. I am sure with those two around a ghost would be scared to stick around long. I would say that would be better than a garlic necklace.

Luci said...

Is this the spot where your car will seem to roll up hill. I seem to remember people telling me that it was the ghost pushing it.