Friday, May 28, 2010

Hey, I’m Not the Only One

Jennie and I were in Richmond watching Emerson one weekend a few months ago when we all decided to watch a movie Emerson had gotten.  The movie was a Disney cartoon called ‘UP’.  The three of us piled onto the couch, with Emerson sitting in the middle, and fired up the movie.

‘UP’ wasn’t like the Disney cartoons I remember from my younger days.  Ten minutes into it, big tears started welling up in my eyes.   I was trying my best not to let Jennie and Emerson see that I was crying but it soon became more than I could manage.  Emerson, sitting beside me, could tell that I was sobbing,  blubbering like a baby actually, and he yelled out, “Grandpa!”  

I was mortified, real men don’t cry at movies, especially not cartoon movies.  To make matters worse, I sobbed two or three  more times before the movie was over.  My rough and tough reputation was ruined.  I think Emerson enjoyed watching me suffer more than watching the movie.


Well, today I found something that makes me feel a lot better.  I ran across an article at ScreenJunkies.com entitled 10 Movies That Make Real Men Cry.  Guess what the fifth movie listed was.  That’s right, ‘UP’.  Turns out I must not be the only Real Man it has brought to tears.  I feel so much better. 

 


UP

 

The most recent film on this list, the 8 minute prologue of Up stands as cinematic perfection. The incredibly effective “Married Life” montage (set to Michael Giacchino’s Oscar-winning score) succeeds in telling an entire life story before the first act of the feature truly begins. In this short period, we see a marriage bloom and wilt, forcing an old man to come to grips with an unfulfilled promise as his lifelong best friend and wife passes.

From www.screenjunkies.com on May 25, 2010

 

I’m not sure what to think about the fact that I’ve cried while watching six of the movies listed.  And three of the other four I haven’t seen yet.   It’s getting harder and harder to maintain my ‘Real Man’ cred these days.

Clyde

3 comments:

Luci said...

You should have been here for the SobFest when Michelle and her guys watched it with me. Of course they pretended Michelle and I were doing all the sobbing.

Amber said...

I watched "My sisiter's keeper" by myself the other night. I sobbed like a baby. It didn't help that i have just been through everything that has gone on with Caleb these past 2 months. I was a hot mess of snot and tears.

Michelle said...

Some fools never learn. I watched this youtube clip andI am balling like a baby. I think Clyde knew I could not take not looking at it again. Wilk!!!