Thursday, September 3, 2009

DADDY'S 1964 PAY

I remember back when I was almost ten. Dad bought me a bicycle and said he paid $54.95 for it. I was over at Maw's and we were talking about what Dad was getting paid. She said he gets $27 a shift. I figured that out to be $7020 a year or $585 a month.

I want you all to know that for the month of August I used 39 of those $5 off of a $25 purchase coupons, totaling $195. I added up my August spending, purchases I make with coupons totaled $727.73 and the purchases without coupons was $111.36 totaling $874.73. I saved a total of $589.25 with the use of 302 coupons including the 39 five dollar off coupons. Which as you know is more then Dad's 1964 pay.

I also saved $664 with the sales that included the coupons and $79.25 with the sales without the coupons. I send a total of $387.92 worth of rebates off and also $20 worth of gift cards. All of this adds up to $407.92! I will end being out a total of $466.81 when I get my rebate money.

I figured out I saved almost 80% on the overall. This doesn't include the $65.95 in sales tax. Which is more then what my bicycle cost in 1964. It also does include the $20 worth of restaurant coupons and today specials.

I would like for you all to know I got the September rebate book and it looks to me like this month isn't going to be as good. Well, look at the bright side, I will get some rest and have time to use up all of the stuff I purchased, which would have $2,207.23 if purchased regular without a credit card, or about $2,300.00 if you include the sales tax. I don't know what it would cost if charged to a credit card and you spent years paying it on it.

The Coupon Queen at work.


Sherry

6 comments:

Clyde said...

After five years of college I started work for Kentucky Power Company in 1972 at a salary of $850.00 a month. My take-home-pay after taxes and such was probably close to $600.00. Out of that I had to make a payment on my student loan, I think it took me about eight years to pay it off.

I have trouble following Sherry's complex financial calculations, but I think she got $2,207.23 (Retail Price) in products and she will be out-of-pocket $466.81 after the rebate checks are cashed. That's a savings/earnings of $1,740.42. That's about three times my monthly earnings in 1972.

Maybe instead of Calculus, Thermodynamics and Differential Equations I should have studied Discounts, Coupons, Qualifiers and Rebates. With no student loans! And people wonder why I get depressed sometimes.

sherry said...

I only spent $544.18 at Rite Aid's, but I will get back a total of $378.92 and $20 in gift cards.
That total $145.26. I saved around 90% at that store; excluding the sales tax.

Michelle said...

We will have to greece the sides of the meaner mart to get all those goodies in. Luci and I have to come up there and releave Meaner of all the items she dont need.

Clyde said...

You're too late Michelle. Luci is here already, loading up. She sure is quick. She may have been there when Sherry got home from Rite Aid. I guess that's how she got to be 'The Millionaire' while the rest of us barely get by.

Luci said...

I got here just in time. My cubboards are as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's. I have been rationing toilet paper for the past 2 weeks. If I had waited anyh longer I would have had to get out the scissors. A trip to the Meaner Mart was way overdue.

Michelle said...

Meaner has come through again for me. She sent by Luci a bunch of wonderful school supply items. Construction paper,crayons, paint, and books. I have been blessed with a wonderful Meaner to help me in my work with the children. Thanks Meaner!!