Tuesday, September 8, 2009

No More Genealogy

I’m quitting genealogy! I can’t do it any more.

I’m going to have to find a new hobby. It’s really a shame too, I found genealogy so interesting up until now. But I’m afraid to dig into it any farther.

I guess I need to explain.


I had pretty good luck when I first started researching our family tree. The Justice Family is pretty well documented on the Internet and in the Justice Genealogy book by R. A. Justice. I’ve found information on the Justice line going all the way back to William Justice who was born in 1625.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much information is available on the Looney Family. They were early pioneers in the Shenandoah Valley and explored, hunted and fought Indians with the likes of Daniel Boone. I’ve been able to trace our Looney lineage back to Robert Looney who was born about 1692 and came to America from the Isle of Mann.

I’ve had some success with Jennie’s family too. Her mother’s ancestors, the Adkins Family, were early arrivals in America also. I have found her family tree documented back to William V. Adkins who was born in 1689 in Virginia.

That’s three branches of the family tree I can trace back to the 1600’s. But wait, I need to get back to why I’m quitting genealogy.


The most frustrating branch of my tree to find any information about is the Stalker Family. Wouldn’t you know, the name I will carry with me all of my life is the least documented of all. I can only find information as far back as great-grandfather George Stalker. I have found that his father’s name was John and he lived around High Point, NC, but I can find nothing else. This has been extremely frustrating, but that still isn’t why I’m giving up genealogy.

I’ve seen on the Internet that Stalker is supposed to be a Scottish name. There is even a Stalker Castle in Scotland, but I’m positive it was never owned by anyone named Stalker.

Getting to the point, finally, it is this connection to Scotland that has me ready to give up genealogy. You see, purely by accident, while browsing the Time Magazine website the other day, I ran across this picture…

Yo Stalker, that sure be a cold breeze that be a blowin'. Ain't it?

Now that is just not right! That cannot be in MY blood! That is NOT in my DNA! Those cannot be my relatives! And on the very remote chance that they might be, I don’t want to know about it!

That’s why I’m quitting genealogy, right here and now.

Clyde

2 comments:

Luci said...

Wow, look at how the socks match the kelts perfectly. That is something to be proud of.

Michelle said...

Well look on the bright side, it is only kilts, it could have been thongs.