Thursday, October 1, 2009

Finally A Flower

Jennie had already given up on her Christ in the Manger plant for this year.  It hadn’t shown any sign of a bloom while Mom, Luci and Michelle’s plants were keeping them up nights with multiple blossoms.   I told her she wasn’t living right, she needed to do more good works and her efforts would be rewarded.  I suggested she start by treating me much better, feeding me better, giving me fewer chores to do,  and so on.  She didn’t think that was the problem.

As it turns out she was in Richmond doing a good deed, by staying with Emerson while Erik had his surgery, when Jeffery stopped by and discovered a single little bud, hidden from view, down near the bottom on the back side of the plant.   Jennie was delighted with the news but also worried that it would open while she was away.  Well, that bud hung on there until she returned home, and it finally opened up last Thursday night. 

Her plant only had the one flower but it was a big one!  

Naturally, all this just strengthens my belief in the connection between good deeds and blossoms.  If Jennie did more good deeds, fixing me pinto beans and corn bread for instance,  I am sure her plant would have more flowers.  Think about it, Mom and Lucille are always doing good deeds for family, friends and neighbors, and their Christ in the Manger plants are always loaded with flowers. 

Now I realize my theory can’t explain the blooms on Michelle’s plant, I suspect Oliver is fertilizing it or something.  Hey, maybe it’s responding to the good deeds that Jim does.  Yeah, that’s what it’s doing.

Clyde

5 comments:

Luci said...

Wow! That is a beautiful picture. Congratulations Jenny! I divided my plant into two this year so I could handle it by myself. I gave one of them to a friend. She had her first bloom this past week too. She was absolutely thrilled. My plant had a single large bloom on it one night too. Unfortunately it rained that night so I didn't get to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Ours hasn't bloomed yet. Guess I should make Shawn more beans and cornbread.
Jennifer

Luci said...

It may be that the soupbeans and cornbread have to be made for Clyde. Come to think of it, my bloom came soon after his visit when I fixed the soup beans and cornbread for him. Mom's blooms profusely based on all the times she fixed them over the years. Maybe Michelle stirred the pot once.

Clyde said...

Alternate Theory

I have another theory... maybe the plants need an environment high in methane gas in order to bloom. Nearby cow pastures would explain Luci and Michelle's blooms. I'm sure Dad keeps Mom's adequately 'fumigated'. If Shawn and I could get more pinto beans I bet we could keep Jennie and Jennifer's flowers blooming right into the winter.

I need to write an article about this, I bet I could get it published in National Geometrical, or Scientifical American maybe.

Jeff aka Baby Grandma said...

You guys are killing me!!I am so confused. I don't know if I need to do more good deeds or Randy or if he should be doing them for me?
Should we stop taking beano or not?Or should I just try and feed Clyde soup beans for breakfast. lunch and dinner and have bean pies for his snacks and deserts? Which one will I do? I have not had a bloom at all this year! I have to go now. I have to find a place where I can get beans by in a 50 lb sack before Clyde gets down here with Dad in January.