Monday, July 7, 2008

Does It Hurt, Papaw?

I was told I had to write this story up. 

Recently Daddy had his surgery to clean out the vein that ran up the side of his neck.  Luci had it planned perfectly that I was to go up and she would come later so that she didn't have to miss work days and so that Clyde could get ready for his trip to Florida.  I was home for summer break and that was a good plan to me.  Daddy's surgery was on Wednesday and Clyde brought him home on Friday.  Daddy was cut from his ear to his throat.  I was walking on egg shells trying to not make him move his head or make any sudden movement for fear of  hurting that area.  

Carlos had been worrying about that incision on Dad's neck since he had been home and he had asked me about it.  I had told him it was where he had his surgery and it was sore and hurt Papaw's neck. 

This is a scene that took place out on the front porch:

Papaw:  CARLOS! I want a cup of coffee.

Carlos ran out with a cup of coffee to the front porch.

Carlos:  Papaw, that is a big cut Papaw.

Papaw: Yep Bub, it is a big cut.

Carlos: I bet it is sore Papaw.

Papaw: Yep Bub, it is really sore.

Carlos: Does it hurt, Papaw?

Papaw:  Yep, it sure does Bub.

Carlos put the coffee down, looked over at Papaw's neck really hard, and then he ... took his finger and poked Daddy right on the incision.  Daddy started screaming and hollering and Carlos ran off saying....

Carlos:  SORRY PAPAW !

Sorry, Papaw!

 

Posted by Michelle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can only hope that this story will take the place of the one Daddy tells about coming home after having back surgery and I drop Michelle right in front of him. He loves to tell that on me every chance he gets. Now it's Carlos' turn to be the sorce of pain he remembers best. Thanks Carlos. I needed that.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at how good Dad's incision looked. You can hardly see it now. He and Mom both seemed to be doing a lot better.

Anonymous said...

What was wrong with mom? Oh yes, I have to write up my strategy for keeping all this fat. She is a corker that woman is.