Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bragging on the Kids Again

I figure I better get to writing some more before "Ooty-Amber" makes it's debut on the StalkerClan.  What a great motivator you are, Uncle Clyde. 

Now it is time to boast about that "Baby Squirrel"

Caitlyn is only three years old, but anyone who knows her will describe her as 3 going on 30.  She has a charm and intelligence that most people don't obtain until their later years of life, if at all.  One of my friends asked her the other day if she is in school yet? 

She looked at me first with what seemed like a sympathetic look, then back to my friend and said, "Well, I was going to go, but my brother K-K started school and it made my Mom kinda sad.  She misses us when we aren't with her.  She don't know what to do without us.  So I telled her that I will stay home with her for a little bit longer.  That way she won't be so lonely.  We have girl's days when the boys are at school.  One day I will go to school and she will cry.  But I am growing up on her." 

Then she turns back to me, "Ain't I, Mom?" 

My friend and I were both in a daze.  I had no idea she had thought all of that through.  I scooped her up and tickled her and told her she had better quit growing.  She laughed and said, "I can't stop, Mom.  One day I will be the mom and you will be the baby.  Is that what happens, Mom?" 

At first  I laughed at the thought of what her little mind had conjured up.  But then I thought about it for a minute and replied,  "Yes, Caitlyn,  one day you will be the grown-up and you will have to take care of me.  I won't be a baby, but one day I might need you to help me do things, just like you need me to help you now."   

She thought for a minute, smiled and said, "Yeah, I know, Mom." 

I often think about how the roles of mother and child do eventually reverse.  How ironic.  And how amazing for a three year old to bring it to her mother's attention.  I just hope that helping me out when I am old and grey will bring her the same joy that being her "care-giver" has given me. 



Now I don't want any jokes about how often I'm at Wal-mart or how little I'm not at Wal-mart, after this next story.  I have to admit Caitlyn and I are there a lot.  I go on Mondays to get my groceries, then Wednesday with Grandma to get hers, and usually I am there again on Friday when I remember what I forgot on Monday or Jevon sends me on a scavenger hunt for auto parts or something he needs.  So we are there quite a bit.  As a result, Caitlyn and I have made many friends with the employees.  One of which is an incredibly sweet and adorable little man named, George. 

George is completely deaf, but he is an excellent lip reader.  Jevon is actually the one who introduced us to him.  He has worked at Wal-mart for 20 years and Jevon used to work with him when he was 16.  We've all always loved George.  He can understand everything we are saying by reading our lips, but the conversations are very one-sided because he cannot talk.  So I have noticed sometimes how frustrating it is for him when we can't understand what he so badly wants to say to us.  So Caitlyn and I have recently started studying sign language.  We have books and library movies that help us.  Caitlyn has picked it up quite well.  In fact, when we signed to George that we were learning, we were able to understand when he signed back that his nephew who is 3 is also learning.  The excitement on George's face was priceless.  The last time we saw George at Wal-mart, Caitlyn looked up at me and said, "I sure love George!". 

"So why don't you tell him," I said. 

So she yelled across Wal-mart to George, "I love you George!". 

"No," I said,  "He can't hear you.  Remember?  You have to sign it to him." 

So Caitlyn walked up behind George tapped on his leg and began to sign.  She took her her hand and stuck up her pinky as she brought it to her little chest (to signify "I").  Then she took both of her hands and made fists and crossed them on her chest ( to signify "love").  Finally she pointed her pointer finger straight at George with great intent.  Then she ran and hugged his legs.  It was truly one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. 

George picked her up and used one hand to sign, "I love you," back.  As he signed he attempted to say it, "I love you!"  It sounded crystal clear to Caitlyn and me. 


I am always reminded by my children that it truly is the simple things in life that mean the most.  Nothing money can buy can bring that kind of joy to people's lives (and you can take that to the bank).  Thank you, sweet baby girl for showing me the finer things in life.  You are growing up on me for sure, but just promise to never, ever change.  You are my Angel.  I love you!

Amber


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story! I won't have to go to sad songs or use my eye drops this morning. My dry eyes are running over with tears. Pat used to say that same thing -"When I'm the grown up and you are the baby" - I'm afraid that time has come for him. He is doing a great job taking care of me lately. I am truely blessed to have a wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

I have often heard it said that children are pure and innocent, it is the world that makes them different as they grow older. I am glad that in Ambers world they are learning good and valuable life lessons.

Anonymous said...

Amber!! What kind of Camera do you have that takes such clear pictues. they are professional grade.

Anonymous said...

This is a new story for me. Amber usualy tells them to me before they hit the clan. I love reading about the life lessons of her family. You are one great Mom. I am very proud of you Momma Squrrel.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Clyde, you move fast! I just sent this story to him last night. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to forever save these memories and to be able to make this tribute to the special people in my life. I often wonder how to bridge the mile gap between my stalker family and my Fl family. Hopefully this gives all of you a little glance into our lives and into the hearts of my children (my greatest accomplishment). And yet i can't really take full credit for the unique and incredible little beings they are becoming. So anyway, THANK YOU!!! Uncle Clyde! You truly are a gift, too. Keep doing what you do to bridge the distance gap.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Michelle, I have a "wal-mart special" Samsung-5.1 mega pixels. It takes some great pics. But i have to confess that some of the pics that have been posted (like the one of Caitlyn in her glasses) were taken with a friends $900 camera. I posted earlier that that "feet pic" was a real one of my kids feet. It was taken with my friends camera also. I love them all, though.