Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More Bragging on the Kids

I promised more......so here it is. - Amber

This time I am going to do some bragging on my K-K. 

I was recently telling Jevon that I have never met a child more thrilled to be a sibling than Caleb.  I was really concerned when I got pregnant with Caitlyn that he wouldn't be able to cope well with not being the baby anymore.  But it could not have been any further from the case.  When she was born he instantly coined the name "Baby Squirrel" for her because he could not pronounce "girl".  And it stuck. 

He is always sticking up for his big brother and Baby Squirrel.  If Austin gets in trouble Caleb will often beg for Austin's punishment to be lessened or taken away, even when the offense was against him.  I am always amazed at this.  I remember begging for my sisters to be punished for hurting or bugging me.  Anyway, when it comes to his siblings, he just seems to have an everlasting supply of sympathy, empathy, and love. 


A couple of nights ago I took the kids to the fall festival at school.  They had all kinds of games and booths.  Caleb even threw a baseball and dunked his P.E. coach.  While we were there I bought everyone a snowcone.  The kids were especially excited about their snowcones.  Caleb sounded like "What about Bob" eating his.  He kept saying,  "Mmmmmm" and, "Man this cone is goooood!"  But with all the kids and commotion, Caitlyn dropped her snowcone on the ground.  I didn't have one to offer her but if I had, I don't think I could have beaten Caleb before he offered his. 

Now this may not seem like such a big deal to everyone, but in my house we don't eat a lot of sweets and when the kids do, it is special.  Not to mention how much Caleb was enjoying that cone.  He handed that cone over without the slightest hesitation.  I was awestruck.  Of course, Caitlyn accepted the offer without a second thought.  "Thanks, K-K!", she said. 

Now I could have given Caleb his cone back and bought Caitlyn a new cone, but I knew that the experience of selflessness that I had just witnessed would be taken away.  So instead I decided to watch.  Caleb began to eyeball his snow cone almost instantly.  He leaned into Caitlyn and smiled a sweet smile and asked, "Can I have just a little bite of that cone, Baby Squirrel?"  And to my shock, Caitlyn offered up the cone willingly.  This went on, over and over again, without incident until the cone was nothing but a soggy, red, paper cup.  It was a simple gesture of kindness to most people, but it was a huge sacrifice for my sugar-tooth K-K. 


The next day, Caleb woke up not feeling well.  I don't know if it was all the sweets the night before or what, but he was sick.  He said his stomach felt like he was going to throw-up.  So I grabbed a bucket and scooped him up and began to rock him in my rocker.  Just about that time I heard a stirring in my room.  Caitlyn was waking. 

Now Caitlyn, unlike Caleb, does not like to share anything with Caleb, including her Mama.  So I knew the war that was about to ensue.  As Caitlyn walked out of the room with her crazy "bed head" hair, she instantly zeroed in on Caleb and squealed, "Get off my Mama, Cawub!" 

Caleb, who had also anticipated the same reaction, just looked up at me and smiled.  Then he looked at his sister, as he squeezed to one side of my lap, and said, "Look, Baby Squirrel, there is enough room on Mama's lap for both of us.  Bubby is sick and I want Mama to rock me, too.  Can you share her?" 

To my surprise, Caitlyn squeezed up onto what was left of my lap and we all sat there rocking for what felt like the most peaceful 20 min of my life.  How blessed we are to have such  a sweet and considerate little person like Caleb in our family.


Really quickly, I have to throw this in.  Caleb came home from school Friday and told me that a big kid at school had called him a midget.  I was flushed with an array of emotions.  Sorrow, hurt, anger.....just to mention a few.  But Caleb just smiled as he finished his story.  "You know what I told him, Mom?  I said, 'Oh yeah?  Well, I might be small, but I am DEADLY!  Wanna wrestle?"

I am so proud to be called Caleb's Mom!  I love you K-K!  

Proud Mama Amber

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are a reflection of their home life. Yours must see a lot of kindness and love at home. They are so sweet. I love to read your stories. They remind me so much of my boys when they were little. I miss those days.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber,
I think you should consider writing as a career/hobby. You're really,really good at it!!

Your Uncle Willie

Anonymous said...

Was that my Uncle Willie on the Caln. Good to see a comment Uncle Wille. And yes I do agree. She is quite a story teller. We love it when she comes over and shares her stories with us. Except when she gets started on her My Mama Storeis. I have to leave on those.
What good stories to get up in the morning and read. I love that KK.

Anonymous said...

I liked this story as well. Maybe he will be a good protector in school for Caitlyn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the compliments. Now i have to try and fit my big head into bead next to my husband. That may be a challenge! It's great to hear from uncle willie. Hope all is well. I wanted to mention, though, that the picture of the feet is actually Austin's, Caleb's, and Caitlyn's feet. From left to right. Austin told me i was one of the weirdest people he knew when i took that picture, but i love it!!!