Monday, November 10, 2008

Bragging on the Kids

 Amber sent me the beginning of a series of stories about her kids.  She promises there are more to come.  Here is the first installment:


I just feel the need to write and brag on the kids a little.  They have all made me so proud this week.  Each of my stories are unrelated to each other but they are all connected in that they show the true hearts of my children, and that is one thing that brings me great joy and pride.

I'll start with Austin. 

Last weekend, after our infamous Halloween party (which is a whole other story) we were on our way home really late.  When we were about a block behind our house we noticed a huge commotion of cops and fire trucks. 

There was a home on fire.  It was blazing.  Everyone in the car got quiet.  It was a horrific site. 

The kids flooded us with questions.  "Was anyone hurt?"

"Did everyone get out?"

"Were there animals inside?" 

All questions that we could not answer. 

When we got home we sat down as a family and said a special prayer for the owners of the home.  When we finished Austin ran to his room. 

He returned, his arms full of a variety of his belongings, including his freshly acquired bag of Halloween candy.  He announced very soberingly,   "Mom, I think the people who lost their house probably had kids.  They probably lost all of their things.  I want to donate some of my stuff.  I have clothes and toys and school stuff, and I bet they even lost their Halloween candy.  So I want to give them mine.  Can I do that, Mom?" 

It was a selfless act of kindness that no one had prompted him to make.  I was filled with the warm love of God. 

The next morning I called my neighbor who lives close to the fire.  She informed me that the house had recently been foreclosed on and she did not think that anyone had moved back into it again. 


That Monday I went to the school to do some volunteering in Caleb's class.  The school is understaffed and overwhelmed this year.  Caleb's teacher, Mrs. Cox, was thrilled to have me.  She smiled when I walked in, she said, "You can work with your boy." 

She knows that I make a fuss over Austin's brother, Eli.  He's my bud.  He has been struggling with his school work.  They have "sight words" that they have to be able to recognize when shown.  Each week they get about 4 words.  Eli has had a lot of trouble with it.  To make something clear, he is very, very intelligent and both his teacher and I do not blame him for not trying. 

Anyway, I have worked with him at my house before so I knew what he could recognize and what he couldn't.  When we went into the teacher's office and started studying I quickly realized that he was able to read more of the sight words this week.  I made a huge fuss over this. 

I said, "Eli, my guy!  How did you know those words?  I don't even know those words.  I'm silly, huh?" 

He looked right at me and said, "Apparently so, Amber." 

I laughed and then I said in a serious voice, "Who has been working on these with you, Eli?  Was it your Mom?" 

He shook his head, "No". 

"Was it your neighbor who watches you?" 

He shook his head, "No". 

"Was it your teacher?" 

He shook his head, "No", again.  Then he smiled and put his hand up above his head and made a gesture to show it was someone who was about a foot taller than him. 

I instantly knew,  "Was it Austin?" 

He smiled from ear to ear and shook his head excitedly, "Yes."  Austin is such a special person and I am reminded of that more and more everyday.  I am so proud!  I love you, Austin!

Amber

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful story. People are so quick to point out the bad in the children and forget the good. I liked this story, I am leaving for work with tears on my keyboard.

Anonymous said...

Great story. You should really be proud of Austin and the great job you and Jevin are doing in raising him. It is heart warming to hear of a child with a such a good heart when they see so much cruelty and crudeness on TV. Love you all. Hope you get to come for a visit soon.

Anonymous said...

I have cried twice over this one. Once when Amber told me on the phone and again when i just read it. Austin, you are something for this Grandma to be very proud of. I hope I get to see you today. Love you!