Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Acid Test


 

Jennifer Spickler
Lexington, KY

 

Dear Jennifer,

Only a few days remain until the big Wedding in Wilmore. As far as I know, you still haven't changed your mind. I can't help but suggest this one last thing for you to consider, an Acid Test so to speak.

I don't know you well, but I'm sure you aren't rushing into this marriage without giving it a lot of serious thought. I understand you and Shawn have gone though Pre-Nuptial Counseling.

  • I imagine by now you have spent a lot of time thinking and talking about Compatibility Issues regarding your personalities, spirituality, temperaments, goals and a host of other considerations.
  • I'm sure you and Shawn are already working out how Conflict Resolution is going to be handled in your union. With the In-Laws you are getting there could be a lot of conflict that needs resolving.
  • I would wager the impact of marriage on your Career has been weighed, both positive and negative. Can you wait on Shawn the way Luci has and maintain your career too?
  • I know you and Shawn have discussed the Financial Considerations. Two people cannot live as cheaply as one, unless the one spends money like she was a millionaire.

All of these are important things to consider but the Acid Test that I think needs to be passed falls under the category of Family Planning. I'm sure the counselor has led you and Shawn in discussions of "How many?', and "How soon?", and "Daycare or Homecare?" But I doubt the counselor knows Shawn well enough, or has know him long enough, to fully understand the most important consideration. I'm not sure you do either.

When it comes to the idea of Shawn marrying, and having children, there is one word that sends shivers up the spine of every member of the StalkerClan. One word we all fear. One word none of us will speak aloud.

That one word is....


TWINS

Multiple sets of TWINS

If you had known Shawn when he was this age you would understand our trepidation. I hope GrandPa Stalker doesn't see this picture, it could send him back into shock.

Shawn was the poster boy for hyper-activity. If you've ever seen a bottle of Ritalin, that's his silhouette on the logo. He will tell you he has five mothers. He might not tell you that it took all five of them to keep up with him.

If you can look at this picture and still want to go ahead with the wedding, you have our best wishes. If this Acid Test is just too much, we can understand that too. Whatever you decide, our prayers are with you.

The StalkerClan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How mamy days now does she have to change her mind LOL.. I can see it now, Papaw Stalker out there trying to build 2 trailers and he would have to have 2 large stumps in the yard with nails in them to keep up with the Shawn formative years.

Anonymous said...

I did not like the idea of somebody taking my picture off of the google. I demand it to be put back on.

Anonymous said...

Shawn was so cute in those days!!

Good Luck Shawn & Jen! Sorry we can't make it up. If I weren't starting this new job,I'd be there!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture or should I say pictures of our Shawny. He was one good kid. I hope Jennifer is ready for a lot fun. That many Shawns would have to be a gift straigt from heaven. Love you both and we will be praying for your wedding day to be a blessed and happy start to a long and wonderful life together.

Anonymous said...

Funny how Clyde remembers him as hyper. I always considered Shawn to have calming effect on my guys. The big day is getting close. Pray for me. Sherry is coming tomorrow and we still have to shop for her a dress.

Anonymous said...

Luci may need some of my nerve pills!! Have a good time shopping for a dress.

Anonymous said...

A description of one single trip to KY when i was about 8 sums up Shawn the way I remember him. I remember he was so calm and sweet. Unlike the unruly sibblings i had to share a household with. I remember Traci and Crystal were way to cool to play with Mindy and I. We resorted to our dear cousin Shawn-David. Although he did refuse to play dolls or house he did invite us to observe whatever he was working on. I can't remember his exact terminology but the conversation went something like this
Us: "Shawn-David, will you play dolls with us?"
Shawn: "No, but you can help me create a way to create clean, efficient, water power conducted soley from the natural energy of the free flowing spring water that streams down the creek into my handmade watermill.
Us: "Uh....what?"
So if Shawn had a twin i can only imagine that by now we would have a solution to all of our energy needs. Since he doesn't, I guess we will all just have to wait a little longer.